Monday, May 7, 2012

MDT - Error Deploying Custom Images via Flash Media

Today I came across an interesting problem that had me quite perplexed.  In my previous blog, I had configured a Windows 7 deployment for the Dell XPS 13 via MDT 2010 and USB flash media.  In that setup, I was deploying W7 from the source media.  However, Microsoft updates was absolutely killing my deployment time, adding nearly 30 minutes to the deployment.  To combat this, as I have in the past, I decided to capture a custom image with Office 2010 and all current Microsoft updates installed.

After capturing my image and adding it to my deployment, I updated my selection profile, then updated my flash media.  However, upon attempting to image the XPS 13,  the deployment failed after the Injecting Drivers task and I was presented the following error:

ERROR - Unable to find SETUP, needed to install the image ImageName.wim.

The reason for my confusion was I have deployed four other custom images in the past using nearly the exact same method and they all worked like a charm.

In short, the reason this error occurred was I had selected the option "Setup and Sysprep files are not needed" when importing the operating system.

Why was this never required before?  After some searching, I found a forum post by Johan Arwidmark, in which he went into more detail.  As it turns out, when MDT attempts to deploy an image, if there are no setup files with the image, it will look elsewhere in your deployment share to attempt to locate the needed files.  If you have previously imported the W7 source files, it will use the setup files from there.

In my situation, I had removed the source files from my USB flash media to save disk space.  The solution:

  1. Re-import the custom wim.
  2. Select "'Copy Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, or later setup files from the specified path." and select the path to your source files.  ex. ..\DepShare\Operating Systems\Win_7_Ent_SP1
  3. Update your operating system selection for your Task Sequence.
    1. Open your task sequence properties, then click the "Task Sequence" tab.
    2. Expand the "Install" section, then click on "Install Operating System".
    3. Click the "Browse" button under "Operating system to install".
    4. Select the OS you just imported and apply the changes to your task sequence.
  4.  Now just update your flash media and you should be ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment